Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Weekend Recap....

Can you believe we had a 3 day weekend? Why does the time fly by so quickly? Although, it's nice to know I only have a 4 day work week :)

I can explain my weekend in 2 words YARD WORK.......I'm pretty sure I've put in about 12-15 hours into the corner of our back yard. Finally yesterday we got all the small trees cut down, all the leaves/brush cleaned up and I was able to use the rototill. We have 23 lawn bags sitting at our curb waiting for tomorrow's pick-up. That number doesn't include the 40+ lawn bags that we have already put out this season. I guess that's what you get when you buy a house with over a foot of snow on the ground.......it's a risk you take of what lies beneath that snow. In my case, it was about 1-2 feet deep of leaves, sticks, tree limbs, garbage, etc.

After all of the work I have done I wish I would have taken "before" pictures so I could remind myself of how far I've come in just a short period of time. It makes me feel good though that a couple of our neighbors came over to comment on all the work we have done and to tell me how good everything looks. We just L-O-V-E our neighborhood! I am so lucky.

It was funny..... while I was covered head to toe in nothing but dirt, with bloodied up arms from cutting down some pricker bushes and sweat literally rolling down my face I had the most sentimental moment. I was getting very tired and was ready to give up....i was battling the yard and the yard was winning......and then it occurred to me! "I was doing lawn work in MY OWN YARD!! I own this yard. I own this house!" It was the first time since I bought the house in January that it really struck me.......I am finally a homeowner!! And I live here with my fiance!! It was at that exact moment that I was able to reflect on how far I had come the past few years. Five years ago if you had asked me if I would have either (house/fiance) I, along with many family members and friends, would have laughed in your face. Five years ago I was in debt pass my eyeballs and barely surviving one terrible relationship after another until one particular day when the "light bulb" finally went off and I decided that I needed to change my life. I managed to pay off my debt in just over 2 years and I rid myself of anything that even remotely resembled a relationship. It was during these 3 years that I was single that I think I truly learned who I was and what I wanted out of life. Even though I was teased by family/friends about being "single" for so long I wouldn't change it for the world. It was that decision that led me to find the man of my dreams. Looking back, the road I have had to travel is worth it's weight in gold for the outcome it has given me. I cherish my life and know that it was all the bumps in the road that led to where I am today and I will be forever grateful.

Okay, I just realized this post has gotten much longer than what I had intended. My initial post was supposed to be about some gardening questions I have and somehow it got all sentimental and boring.........now I'm out of time so I guess my gardening questions will have to wait.

2 comments:

RealRach said...

You need to get me pictures of the baby so I can scrap some! LOL

Abbie said...

I love that feeling! The realization that you OWN it is awesome. Once I got that feeling, I planted a garden (even though it was measly).