Monday, January 21, 2013

Lainey Surgery Update #1,000,000,000,000

We are 4 months, 3 days post op and I feel like I should be done with surgery updates and just be able to say that she is a healthy pup who is enjoying running again!

Unfortunately, that is not the hand we were dealt.

The week before Christmas Lainey was put under again and they aspirated some fluid and sent it for testing.  The test results came back and showed very, very little amounts of bacteria, which means there was little to no infection.

Even though the bacteria levels were so low, the surgeon wanted us to complete the cycle of antibiotics anyway and continue on the pain meds.

During this time, a miracle happened.  Lainey was happy, she was walking again with little to no limp, and on a few occasions she even did her zoomies in the yard and played in the snow.

I truly thought that we had finally turned the corner and things would only continue to improve.

I was wrong!

This spurge of energy and excitement only lasted about 2 1/2 weeks and then I noticed that she was limping again, didn't want to get out of bed and whined all through the night.

I finally got a chance to talk with the surgeon about this and he is worried that her body is rejecting the nylon that was used to repair her ACL.  If this ends up being the case, we will have to schedule surgery to remove the nylon and replace it with another artificial material.

Not only is the money an issue, but you guessed it....we would officially be starting over as if we were back on Day 1 post op and not Day 117.

I'm stressed and praying that we don't have to go this route.


This is the look she gave me when I told her about the possibility of having surgery again! 
The sadness in her eyes says it all!

No comments: