Thursday, October 22, 2009

H1N1 Hits West Michigan

I heard some disturbing news this morning........we have 49 schools in our district that are closed due to illness (swine flu). I'm really starting to get a little scared.

This has got to be the largest disease outbreak that I have ever experienced. My fiance's son has been sick for almost a week now and to be honest, I'm terrified to keep him this weekend. The way I see it, he's already exposed his mom's household to whatever he has, so maybe he should just stay with her until he is healthy and we will make up our weekend with him some other time. Why should my fiance and I be exposed?? Not to mention that I get so nervous that my fiance will get sick. He only has 1/3 of his lung capacity as a result of the accident, so if he gets this swine flu then it could be very critical. He will be on a ventilator, I'm sure!

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention upgraded Michigan to widespread H1N1 influenza, the most pervasive level possible. And the worst part is that they are calling Southwest Michigan (where I live) the epicenter. How lucky am I?

And you wanna know the thing that is ticking me off the most? Since the students are not going to class due to cancellation, they are hanging out all around town. The malls, skateboarding parks, the arcade....the local news is basically "begging" parents to keep their children at home, whether they are sick or not! This is serious people....Social gatherings should be the last place anyone should want to be right now. Parents, I'm begging you "Please keep your children at home".

And here's another question for you....Is just closing the schools down for the few days left this week going to be enough? I've heard this swine flu usually last for about 2+ weeks. Most people feel ill for about a week but then they can pass along the virus for another 7-10 days after that.

I think I might be scared enough that I might try to get the H1N1 vaccination. I originally didn't want it, due to the fact that it's so new and I don't know if there has been enough testing done yet. But, this morning I read getting the flu is far more risky than getting the vaccine. That might be the push I needed...now if I can only convince my fiance.

1 comment:

Kim @ Kim and Mikey said...

Amy - I am having many of the same thoughts/fears that you are having. Added to my stress is the fact that I'm pregnant - which means I am a higher risk for complications from H1N1. I am still weighing my decision on getting the vaccine. I do not want to get the flu but I do not want to put my unborn child at risk from possible side effects of a still new vaccine.