Monday, June 18, 2012

Mommy to the Rescue

This past weekend was so busy!  Saturday I attended the UKC Premier Dog Show in our area.  One of my trainers (and her dog) were competing in the Dock Diving event so I went to support them. 

After the show, we had a Father's Day celebration with my in-laws.  I just love family get-togethers.  Especially when the sun is shining and there is food a plenty :)

We had decided to keep the celebration going and move the party to the fire pit, so we could have smores and relax.  While my brother in law got the fire ready, my husband and I drove home to let our dogs out.

While the dogs were outside I decided to jump in the shower.  I had been in the sun ALL day and needed to refresh.  I was only in the shower for about 10 minutes and let the dogs back inside as soon as I was done.

Here is how Lainey looked when I let her in.....

Her left eye was swollen with a huge knot and was all bloody (the blood had been cleaned off prior to this picture being taken)  This picture was taken about 5 minutes after she had been in the house

I panicked!  I didn't know if something had gotten up into her eyelid or if somehow she was attacked.  I immediately tossed my bathrobe aside, yelled to my husband to come look at her and quickly got dressed and pulled my wet hair back.  

This was taken about 3 minutes after the first picture.  You can see that her left eye is getting bigger and it has now started swelling in her right eye.

Our regular vet wasn't open so I knew I would need to drive her to the emergency animal hospital.  With it being a 40 minute drive from my house, I called them first to make sure they were open and to also give them a heads up that we were on our way.

I took this picture about 10 minutes after the initial photo...Just after I had talked to the emergency vet.  Both eyes have now begun swelling shut

After describing the symptoms, the vet was pretty sure that Lainey was having an allergic reaction.  She may have been stung by a bee, bit by a spider or an ant, etc.  I was instructed to give her some Benadryl and wait 30 minutes to see if the swelling decreased.  I was instructed that if 30 minutes passed and we didn't see any improvement or if she breaks out in hives to call back and plan on bringing her in.

After about 50 minutes, there was great improvement, which was such a relief.  About 12 hours later and 2 doses of Benadryl, she was back to normal.

Have you experienced any pet emergencies before?


KT said...

Oh poor Lainey!! I'm glad she is back to normal.

We have had a few pet emergencies, but thankfully nothing recently!

Elisa said...

unfortunately yes! And I love benadryl- our golden takes it all the time.

Our beagle has gotten into all kinds of bad things and has had to go to the vet ER multiple times ($$$)

But they are our babies- gotta take care of them!!