Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It Ain't Easy Being A Pit Bull Mama

We all know that it's hard to be a Pit Bull Mama!  You have to be well-educated on the breed, be willing to put in the time training and advocate as much as possible.... and you MUST have thick skin because people WILL talk bad about your dog (most of them without even having met him/her).

The joke in our house has always been, that if you come to the front door, you should be more afraid of our Jack Russell than our Pit Bull.  The most dangerous thing our pittie would do, is lick your face inappropriately (on your mouth) or bruise your leg from her tail wagging so hard.

Unfortunately, the stigma around these dogs and the way the media portrays them....makes people believe they are vicious killers and should never be trusted.

The way I see it....NO DOG should ever be fully trusted.   


Pit Bulls need early socialization, but I believe that EVERY dog needs it.  Pit Bulls are terriers which means they are strong, stubborn and determined.  And since they are a terrier, they also can have a high prey drive.  But, so can a Chihuahua, a ShihTzu, Jack Russell or even a Greyhound.

Due to the incident last week between my dogs....people have assumed that our Pit Bull MUST have been at fault (She IS a vicious killer after all).  This couldn't be farther from the truth, but I've quickly learned that no matter how many times or in how many different ways I tell the story....I'm not going to be able to change their mind.  Does it bother me? Yes!  Will it ruin my day? No!

As long as I know I have provided them with nothing but the facts from that day...they are allowed to see things how they want.  What more can you expect from people who have an irrational fear and hatred for a breed due to all the media hype.

I can say one thing....I've received more love and loyalty from my Pit Bull than I have most people.

 

What have been some of your biggest obstacles to overcome being a Pit Bull Mama?

1 comment:

Hannah@Eriesistibull said...

Diggin' the new look!

I've had a few people try to convince me that someday Tess will "turn" on me, and that I should be careful. I just always say I'm not too worried about it, but thanks. You can tell the people that have no interest in hearing facts.

We socialize Tess and Ed alot and have been lucky to meet people that are wonderful and love that they are bullies, so we mostly fraternize with people with open minds!!